Course Description: NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course
Prerequisite: We strongly recommend first attending "Handgun I" if you have little or no prior handgun experience.
The NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting course come in two flavors.
Type 1) A Blended Course : a blended training course, which means a portion of the course (Phase 1) is conducted in an on-line environment, that can be completed on your own time. Upon successfully completing the on-line exam, students will be required to register for the instructor-led training portion (Phase 2), with Dobbs Firearm Training. You must successfully complete Phase 1 and Phase 2 in order to receive your NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting course certificate.
Type 2) Instructor Led Course : this is the same course as the blended except it is 100% done in person.
Objective: The NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course introduces students to the knowledge, skills and attitude necessary for owning and using a pistol safely. Through this course, the students will learn about pistol parts and operation, ammunition, gun safety, pistol shooting fundamentals, and pistol shooting activities. The Basic Pistol Course will also help prepare the student for participation in other NRA courses.
Students will learn NRA’s rules for:
• Safe gun handling
• Pistol and revolver parts and their function
• Shooting Fundamentals
• Range rules
• Various shooting positions
• Cleaning the pistol
• Range exercises to help you continue your skills development and reinforce all that you have learned in class.
If you are taking the Type 1 (Blended Course)
You must sign-up and finish Phase I before taking Phase II with us.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE (THIS SECTION IS COVERING THE BLENDED OPTION) ***
To complete this course of training:
Here is the link for Phase I (On-Line Portion)
**** AT THIS TIME - WE ARE NOT OFFERING ANY BLENDED TRAINING ****
This is a multi step process
1) Click the above link to sign up for the NRA Basic Pistol Blended Course (This will also collect all of the fees for Phase I & Phase II including range fees and targets)
2) You will received a couple of emails. (A Thank you email, a Square receipt email and your student ID, password and on-line course link. The email containing your username, password and control codes are sent out between 8:00 AM & 8:00 PM and can take up to two hours)
3) Use the link in the email to start the on-line course, using the student ID & password
4) Once you pass the on-line course, reply to the email containing your student ID and password, requesting to schedule Phase II
If you are taking the Type 2 (Instructor Led)
The Instructor Led Course is the same course as the Blended except it is 100 percent conducted by a very knowledgeable and personable instructor, with years of firearm experience.
And is a little easier to sign-up. Check our currently scheduled courses by clicking NRA Basic Pistol Course Registration.
What to bring with you:
Students should bring:
1. Firearm (We can supply with ammo for $25.00)
3. Identification (drivers license, state issued ID card is OK).
4. Questions! If you do some research prior to class, and have some questions, bring them to class for discussion.
5. No open toe shoes or low cut tops.
We are currently using a Private Range just north of Vacaville or Richmond Rod & Gun Club for the shooting portion.
Price : $239.00
(Includes Phase I fee to the NRA, Phase II fee to Dobbs Firearm Training, range and target fees and the use of eye and ear protection during Phase II)
Sign up for NRA On-Line Basic Pistol Shooting Blended Course